Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Talk Thursday: Spoiled

American Idol better not be spoiled for me. I know this is a cop out on the topic, but well.... it's the best I could do.

My mom doesn't watch result night because she can find out before hand who won and watch Ghost Hunters instead. Blah! I've been watching faithfully for months. I was shocked that Lily went home so early, appalled that Big Mike stayed so long, and though I really liked Tim.... it was time for him to go.

The top 3 were exactly what I thought it should be. The top 2, just as I called it. But last night.... I was screwed. I had no clue who to vote for! I love them both. Both opening songs were FABULOUS! I think Lee came out a little ahead in that round though. The second songs...... I didn't love, equally. And the last song, Crystal brought me to tears. That sounds like a tie to me.

I found myself having to look back over the season. Crystal came back ahead. So I started texting in my votes. After about 20 for Crystal, I felt guilty. I love Lee. So I voted for him too! Then my phone started spazzing out and I gave up on the whole thing. I have no idea how many I actually made but I know Crystal got more... and that's probably how it should have been.

I'm anxious for results though. I would love nothing more than to have them tie. How amazing would that be? This is the first year that I haven't ended with a clear and definite favorite. Granted, I've only been faithfully watching for 3 years now.

My only true disappointments this year have been a couple of songs that I wish they would have sung. Crystal would do an amazing job on a cover of Live's "I Alone" done by Anouk and Sarah Bettens (from K's Choice). And I really wish that Lee could have done Seven Mary Three's "Lucky". Simon could have picked much better songs for last night. Shame on him! If you don't know the songs I suggested, OMG... give a listen. Trust me. Amazing songs... and these guys would have nailed them!

Anouk and Sarah Bettens - I Alone        This song gives me goose bumps. The link quit working, but I replaced it!

Seven Mary Three - Lucky       I have to say that this You Tube doesn't sound great... but I couldn't find a better one that I could share. I have it on my PC, but it's with the PC mechanic getting a major tune up.

I know that a lot of people have said that this year's Idol didn't have the talent of years past. But I think the front runners are fabulous and I'm glad that they aren't standard "pop" stars. Let's face it, yeah, Big Mike had a good voice... but he's one of millions just like him. Sure, I love Lee and think he has a great voice... but even he doesn't bring anything new to the table. Crystal is not only a great preformer, but unique. She's like Anouk, K's Choice, or Skunk Anansie... and sure, I don't expect you to know them- they're European and probably 10 years old... maybe didn't make a big, huge splash here, but they are great bands. I'd love to see Crystal bring this type of music to the mainstream US.

So, boo to spoilers, don't ruin it for me! Tonight I'll be on the edge of my seat, waiting for the outcome. I guess my money is on Crystal... but the hand behind my back has fingers crossed for Lee.

1 comment:

Cele said...

Tonight I will watch the entire show, rejoice at the winner regardless, but my money's on Crystal. I love her Bobby McGee, but I'd already bought it. I thought his Boxer good, but he needs to connect a bit more to the song. The second songs selected by Simon Fuller sucked. Really sucked. I know everyone like Black Velvet, but there are other songs for both I would have loved. Lee's Everyone Hurts was blah, I bought Crystal's finale song after I quit crying --- I know music does that to me.

So You Think You Can Dance starts tomorrow night with a new format and Mia Michaels is back.... Huge yeah!!!!!

Love
Mom