Friday, May 21, 2010

I Am SO Riled Up!!!!

So I was reading this CNN article on the practice of female circumcision in the US by some African and Muslim immigrants. I've long thought this practice is horrific. But I feel this way about male circumcision, as well.

When I was in high school I had an amazing biology teacher who really forced us to think outside of the box. When the class discussed abortion, you never knew really where he stood on the issue. He was great. One day the topic of male circumcision came up and he very scientifically informed us of the history of the practice and how it didn't become popular with the English speaking world until about 1900. At that point, it became a widespread practice because society determined that little boys couldn't be taught to keep themselves clean.  Studies also show that circumcision does cause decreased sensitivity to the head of the penis.

I do have to say that I feel most forms of "female circumcision" are less like circumcision and more like castration. While male circumcision does decrease sexual pleasure, there are some drastic differences in practices. Boys are generally done as infants, are usually not "maimed" for life (though it depends on your definition of maimed), local anesthesia is often used, and can generally be considered a minor procedure. Female circumcision is done any time from infancy to puberty (most commonly at puberty, it seems), usually means the labia are either cut off or sewn together and/or the clitoris is cut off or completely excised, and there is no anesthesia.

People argue that this is their religion and in the US you have the right to practice your religion. Well, I'm sorry. There are a few instances where I have to say "fuck your religion". If someone opts to have this done to themselves when they reach adulthood, go for it. But no way in hell a parent should be allowed to force this on their child.

When I was pregnant with Burp, I alarmed some guys I knew when I approached them to ask how they felt about male circumcision. I didn't ask if they were or weren't, I asked if they felt it should have been their choice. The resounding  reply was, "Yes, they wished they'd had a choice." That sealed the deal for me. My son is not circumcised. If he chooses to have it done when he's older, great... I'll even help pay for it. But it will be his choice.

Interestingly, Wikipedia cites the World Health Organization as concluding that 30% of the world's males are circumcised, 68% of those are Muslim. In the US, 85% of males born in the 60's were circumcised as opposed to 56% in 2005.

Among men (aged 15 years or older) who are neither Jews nor Muslims, the overall prevalence of circumcision in the UK is 6% according to the WHO's estimates.
The thing that really, really amazed me was the comments people made to this article. I was astounded by the misinformation and ignorance out there.

- Male circumcision is for cleanliness and if anything increases sexual pleasure.

- Male circumcision is right because it comes from Christianity and bilble(scientific) and lot of christian scientists supports it. Female circumcision is wrong because it doesn't come from Christianity and bible. If you have your removed/cut then you better supports it. (This one just makes me LMFAO)


- There is a health benefit for male circumcision, just ask people that haven't been and see if they ever had an infection. (Also ask them how thoroughly they clean themselves and how often!)

- What shame Islam has brought to us and to themselves.

- Uncircumcised men provide more pleasure for women in bed.

- Circumcising a male is nothing more than a cosmetic alteration. [Which is proven to lower bacteria population on the genitals] (So does regular cleansing)


- Male circumcision is certainly a Christian tradition, depending on the sect.

- It's time for people who immigrate to the US or Canada to start acting like Americans.  (hahaha can't Canadians act like Canadians??)


- Actually more and more people are not circumcising baby boys these days. The practice is become less common because frankly more people are Agnostic or Atheist. (Perhaps this is not due to a lack of religion but the increased scientific awareness I have noticed in the Agnostics and Atheists I know.)

People kill me!!

8 comments:

Caroline said...

Thanks so much for this post! Great information, and great to know what you found out from polling your guy friends. I"ve also had men tell me they wished it had been their choice.

Keep speaking!

Unknown said...

Wow. Thank you for the encouragement and thank you for stopping by!

Cele said...

Interestingly enough you didn't cite the World Health Organization: Their studies find that circumcision lowers a man's risk of contracting the HIV virus by 60 percent.

I'm assumming there are certain things you don't want to know about your mother. So you probably don't want to know what I found in my prolific life as a slut. I will say circumcised or not hasn't shown me that men are better equiped to satisfy or not. The reason, few men have realised you have to seduce a woman's mind first. So they fuck it up usually the first hundred times or so.

Men on the other hand can be seduced by any means physical. I know, I know, I'm sexist.

Unknown said...

To be honest, I didn't go to the WHO site on this matter.

Interestingly though, they say that condom use is at least 80% effective. I'm sure that you weren't implying that circumcision should take the place of condoms.

In my opinion, circumcision isn't like a vaccination against HPV. (which I feel boys should get too!) It's like saying you should remove a girl's breasts at birth to prevent the possibility of breast cancer later in life. You don't need your breasts. It won't "hurt" you to lose them. And removing them MIGHT not really remove all of the threat of cancer. Yes, it might be a bit more invasive, but surely not so bad to do to a baby who won't remember it.

Sure what I suggest seems more extreme, but is it really?

Unknown said...

Female circumcision really has very little to do with circumcision - removing the clitoral hood would be the equivalent.

Castration of a male is generally considered to be the removal of the testicles - the analogue in women would be removal of the ovaries.

Female circucision is the female version of emasculation or the removal of a man's penis.

That said - and I know you wanted my opinion on this - but I won't argue with people's religious or cultural views. I don't feel it's my place. I'm sure that they find a great -many- things I do disgusting, perverse and completely wrong. I wouldn't want that view changing whether or not I'm allowed to live my life within my culture.

Now, I do believe that in places where it's illegal - the laws should be followed. It only became illegal on a federal level in the US in 1996. Only 17 states have state laws regarding it and some of those were only made law in the last 4 years. Considering that it is federal law - I don't think it should happen in the US.

In places like Iraqi Kurdistan in which it's legal and part of their culture? I'm not judging. Not my place.

Unknown said...

Also, regarding male circumcision - I can say that having had sex with both cut and uncut men, I wouldn't say that there's any noticable sexual benefit, really. Though in an uncircumcised man, having a foreskin readily available is kind of like having a sex toy available that didn't cost you anything. It does add a little something to some aspects of sex.

"- There is a health benefit for male circumcision, just ask people that haven't been and see if they ever had an infection."

I asked. None. He also cleans himself very well.

"- Uncircumcised men provide more pleasure for women in bed."

How, exactly? Doesn't mean a thing if they don't know what they're doing.

"- It's time for people who immigrate to the US or Canada to start acting like Americans. (hahaha can't Canadians act like Canadians??)"

Well, technically Canadians are Americans. So are South Americans, Mexicans...etc, etc, etc.

Anyway, I'm not circumcising my son for a few reasons. I don't think it's necessary. I don't think laziness is an excuse for cutting a part of the penis off (keep your damn penis clean). I don't know if it decreases sexual pleasure but I'd rather not find out.

Cele said...

When would I ever suggest not practicing safe sex? I was merely citing a statistic you'd not mentioned.

Unknown said...

Mom- I know you weren't. Some men are so lazy though, or unthoughtful. Many try to get away with not wearing a condom by saying "it doesn't feel the same," or "stopping to put it on ruins the mood." I could see some asshat saying, "Hey, I'm circumcised. A condom only increases protection by 20%... what's the point?"