Friday, May 28, 2010

Talk Thursday: Expectations

 It's a third Friday... *happy dance*

This means that Burp is at my mom's. His tradition there is fast food Friday, which he lives for since he rarely, almost never gets it at home. My tradition is that I make a meal of the foods I don't eat normally because Burp doesn't like them.

I know... I know. Lots of people think that kids should eat what ever is put in front of them, no matter what. You shouldn't cater to your child, blah, blah, blah. To be honest, I think that's, for the most part, bullshit. For the most part. Yes, I think it's insane when Whiner's mom gives him pizza or tv dinner's every night because "He won't eat anything else..." He's 7 years old and and weighs 120 pounds and I've never seen him eat a piece of fruit or vegetable.

But I think that if your child eats a balanced diet, then who cares if they don't like certain foods? I refuse to eat mustard, zucchini, brussel sprouts, I don't like most spicy foods and I don't really care much for beans. It irritates me when people are like "Ohh, you've never tried mine, you'll love it." Ummmmm chances are, no I won't. So I'm put into a position where I feel obligated to try, and then to be rude and say I don't like it, or to lie and choke it down.

When I was a child my mother made me have a little of everything. I remember sitting at that table staring glumly at those 4 brussel sprouts covered in cold congealed cheese sauce. It became a power struggle. I wasn't allowed to get up until they were gone.. And I was a stubborn child. Eventually my parents would go to bed and I'd start trying to figure out ways to get rid of them. The dog wouldn't eat them. (And shit, that dog ate EVERYTHING) Usually, I split the difference. I choked down two and buried one deep in the garbage and flushed the other one down the toilet. There was several times I saw 2 or 3 am from that table.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not criticizing my mom, or other's that use this method. (I know my mom grew up in an "Eat it or wear it" house, so I'm eternally greatfull that she tried a different tactic.) I just personally, don't see the point. It didn't make me like those foods. The thought of mustard steak still makes me want to gag. It didn't make me more adventurous when trying new foods. And in a two person household, it doesn't make sense to waste the money on food that 50% of the family will refuse to eat. To me, the only thing to gain by forcing him would be to prove that I'm the "boss", and I have other ways to assert my authority. I have him try new foods, but if he doesn't like it.... fine.

So tonight, I'm enjoying a Cajun chicken sandwich on a ciabatta roll with a red onion, red pepper, and carrot pasta salad. (And corn on the cob, which Burp LOVES, hahaha)
Not a crumb was wasted. No fight. Just yumminess.

The best lesson I've learned as a parent is to PICK MY BATTLES, and trust me- there are plenty of those. Forcing Burp to eat foods he doesn't like when there are so many that he does, just seems like a stupid reason to pick a fight.

I'm certain the next world war will be over mustard. Ugggg, vile, evil, nasty stuff.

2 comments:

Cele said...

In the first world war mustard gas was the weapon.

Other than that I'm glad you enjoyed your dinner.

Unknown said...

See mustard is bad....

But really.... mustard is not in mustard gas.... BUT STILL!!