Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!!

I'm a mom. That's how I define myself. I've always been a mom, since long before I had Burp.

When I was a kid, I knew I wanted a huge family. I had dreams of family baseball games and being a soccer mom. Of course, I didn't have a ton of kids. I never really planned to be a single parent, and I'm not totally crazy. When I was a teen, I remember my elderly, psychic, now-a-little-crazy great aunt coming to visit. I was devastated when she said I'd never have any kids, that I would be a mother to the world and all the children in it. I, of course, thought she was nuts. I cried. And though I now have a very real, 8-year-old boy, who is genetically mine, I get what she meant.

I have no burning need to have another child of my own. Sure, I really wanted a daughter too, even have her name picked out... but it isn't necessary. My aunt was right in one respect. I have no problem loving kids that aren't the fruit of my loins. Now I dream of having a large enough house and a stable enough income to allow me to do foster care. There are so many kids out their that need healthy, loving homes. It almost feels like it would be selfish if I were to get to that place in my life and have another child instead of give a home to those already out there.

Until then, I borrow the neighbor kids. Diva and her brother GamerBoy, their cousin Gemini, Peaches, Whiner, and Burp's little buddy from scouts Pippin. This week I hit a sale at Freddy's and had them all over to pot some flowers for Mother's Day. All morning they've been sneaking over to grab their gifts from the back porch, all smiles and little waves. They're so proud of themselves. I'm going to try super hard to do this next year too.

A few weeks ago, we had all the kids over and they each got to make their own personal little pizza and then we watched a movie. The kids loved it. So many had never made pizza before. Sometimes they'll come over just to help me work in the garden or Diva and Peaches and I will do our nails. Sometimes we bake. Occasionally, Diva's mom will text and say that Diva wants to come hangout with me, is that ok? OMG... I think that's so sweet. Of course it's ok. She'll bring a color book and crayons into the kitchen and keep me company while I wash dishes or get dinner ready. Burp will come in from playing outside and see her, "Ohh, hey Diva. Wanna come play? No, ok. Cool. Love you mom." And he grabs whatever he came for and is off again.

I get what my great aunt was saying, even if she was wrong in saying that I'd never physically have a child of my own. Interestingly, damn near every tarot reading I've had in the last 15 years has had the Empress card come up. At least 9 out of 10 times.

In a few hours, I will head home to spend the day with my mom and my Burp. Have I ever mentioned that I am blessed to have the greatest mom in the world? She would probably argue that she has the greatest mom, just as I argue that point with Burp. I come from a long line of great moms, I can only hope that I do my part to carry on with that tradition. They're big shoes to fill.
Here's a few thoughts on Mom, have a wonderful Day!



The Prophet

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you, and though they are with you, and yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love, but not your thoughts.
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls, for their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward, not tarries with yesterday.
- Kahlil Gibran



What Is a Mother?

A mother can be almost any size or any age, but she won't admit to anything over thirty. A mother has soft hands and smells good. A mother likes new dresses, music, a clean house, her children's kisses, an automatic washer and Daddy. A mother doesn't like having her children sick, muddy feet, temper tantrums, loud noise or bad report cards. A mother can read a thermometer (much to the amazement of Daddy) and like magic, can kiss a hurt away.
A mother can bake good cakes and pies but likes to see her children eat vegetables. A mother can stuff a fat baby into a snowsuit in seconds and can kiss sad little faces and make them smile.
A mother is underpaid, has long hours and gets very little rest. She worries too much about her children but she says she doesn't mind at all. And no matter how old her children are, she still likes to think of them as her little babies.
She is the guardian angel of the family, the queen, the tender hand of love. A mother is the best friend anyone ever had. A mother is love.
- Author Unknown

To My Mother


For all the times you gently picked me up,
When I fell down,
For all the times you tied my shoes
And tucked me into bed,
Or needed something
But put me first instead.
For everything we shared,
The dreams, the laughter,
And the tears,
I love you with a "Special Love"
That deepens every year..

Author Unknown.

You Know Your a Mom When...


    1. You count the sprinkles on each kid's cupcake to make sure they're equal. 
    2. You find yourself cutting your husbands' sandwiches into cute shapes.  
    3. You can't bear to give away baby clothes - it's so final.  
    4. You hear your mother's voice coming out of your mouth when you say, "NOT in your good clothes!"  
    5. You stop criticizing the way your mother raised you.  
    6. You hire a sitter because you haven't been out with your husband in ages, then spend half the night checking on the kids.  
    7. You say at least once a day, "I'm not cut out for this job", but you know you wouldn't trade it for anything

2 comments:

Cele said...

I'm not sure which you are more - a fabulous daughter or a fabulous mother. I do know I am eternally blessed and you are amazing. Now I will go finish crying.

BTW thank you for quoting my favorite poet.

I love you and thank you for my beautiful pot of flowers.

Unknown said...

I love you!

Burp may be my favorite turd, but I wouldn't flush you either!