Thursday, March 31, 2011

Fuk U & Me... (or something like that) Radiation

I've held off talking about this because I don't want to seem paranoid.... but come on, really!

First, I don't necessarily think that the government will lie just for the sake of lying, but I do think they'll try to prevent panic, to the point of not being forthcoming with prudent information.

Radiation levels are now 4300 times the "legal" limit in the ocean waters around this area of Japan. And I think I heard that this level was detected for 20 miles.What does this mean? I mean, I know what it means... but what does this really mean? Will this kill ocean life in that 20 mile radius? How long will this take to dissipate? What about ocean currents? How long do we have to worry about buying a can of tuna?

And, the experts are saying... "We don't know where it's coming from.." .......? Really? Turn on CNN dipshit. I'm not a nuclear physicist, but I'm fairly certain I know where the radiation is coming from.

Dangerous radiation levels have been found in a town 12 miles outside of the evacuation zone... Why haven't they increased the evacuation zone?

Ocean water is corrosive. As soon as they pumped ocean water into reactors 1, 2, and 3... It was pretty much guaranteed that those reactors would never go one line again. When the incident at Chernobyl happened, they dumped fuck-tons of sand and cement, and "corked" the problem. WHY IS JAPAN NOT DOING THIS? You cannot save those reactors. Exposing them to ocean water compromised them INDEFINITELY... I don't understand why they are acting like they can save them. Cut our losses... please... ?

From what I've read, and I realize you can't necessarily trust everything you read, but.... it appears to me, that the majority of incidents of cancer ensuing from the Chernobyl accident were cases of thyroid cancer, from radioactive iodine... that seems to have come from drinking affected milk....

California and Washington are now detecting increased radiation in their milk. The FDA says these are minimal and that the milk is still safe to drink.. I hate to sound like this.. but I can't help it... If the FDA came out and said, "Well, this could be a concern..." Dairy farmers in the western US would be going out of business left and right.

Assuming that the FDA is being honest at this point, what does this mean long term? Cuz, I'm not sure if you people noticed, the situation in Japan hasn't changed. Everyone keeps talking about how American's are being paranoid and that there is no reason for concern, but what I'm taking into consideration is that this situation is not over. I get that the amount of radiation in the milk is equal to less radiation that you're exposed to during a 5 hour plane ride... but they aren't talking about long term.. Can we handle a continued exposure to this... cuz as I pointed out, they haven't "corked" the problem yet. What is the long term affect if my son drinks a gallon or two of radiated milk for the next year? I mean, I have friends who are radiology techs, and you reach a certain level of exposure, and you have to change careers. There is a "lifetime" exposure limit... I just don't know the realities of those limits.

And, god forbid.... what if it gets worse? What if somehow the damn plant blows up?

Am I ridiculous for thinking about going and getting some powdered milk? (ugggg) I don't want to be over-the-top paranoid, but I don't want to kick myself in the ass later for being too naive.

3 comments:

Cele said...

I think one of the telling things is what they aren't doing in relation to what they are saying.

1) Don't take Postassium Iodide.
a) Why?
b) When should I?
c) How much should I take?

2) Don't worry about the radiation being detected, it's too low in count to worry.
You covered the whys on this one very well

Again we're expected to be mushrooms feeding on their bullshit no information format. We've been there, we've done that, sadly Americans are too trusting and expect other governments to act as ours does. They don't and our government is following their in their shoes.

Yes, cancer is a certain concern as is falling out hair, teeth, impotency. But I wonder about some of the unknown unrelated (at this time) effects of radiation fall out. Hmmm 1 in 100/150 children have autism or other problems, is it possible it's from humans poisining our world? It begs asking.

Unknown said...

Actually, Talk to Grant about that one. Apparently, it is thought that a radiation leak in the 90's could be responsible for Oregon's elevated ASD numbers.. Apparently, the same spike is noticed in the 3 Mile Island area.

However, I really think that Oregon's elevated #s have more to do with our touchy-feely nature and the fact that Oregon schools can evaluate students and decided that they are a "probable" case of autism. Not all states allow this.

Autism statistics are gathered from schools...

Unknown said...

Ohhh and...
1) Don't take Postassium Iodide.
a) Why?
b) When should I?
c) How much should I take?

A) Why? First, us rushing out to get it, just in case, "causes a shortage" for those in Japan. Although, our national protocol is that our government should have stockpiles of KI, in the event we do have a similar disaster.

B-C) It depends. The news says take it immediately before or after exposure... But.. They are talking about a MONSTER dose, for EXTREME exposure. They do not talk about therapeutic levels for extended lower exposures.