Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Talk Thursday: Sun, Moon, and Scars

I love the self-expression of individuality through body modification such as piercing and tattoo. This doesn't mean I like it all and, to be honest, some of it gives me the willies, and yes, sometimes I find myself wondering why on earth someone would do that to themselves.
It's interesting to see how trends change. Once upon a time, I'd heard the most popular tattoos were roses, hearts, and butterflies. From what I can gather from some quick internet research is that today's most popular tattoos are tribals, stars, dragons, angels or fairies, and wings. The most popular piercings are ears, nose, and navel. I think eyebrows and tongues have got to be getting pretty close though. (I would get my eyebrow done if they weren't such horribly uncontrollable caterpillars that don't need any attention drawn to them.)

I think a strategically placed piercing can be quite lovely. I know a lot of people would strongly disagree and I definitely do have my reservations about some of the things people do to themselves. I have this piercing, as well as a double piercing to my right nostril. I tend to think I have nice lips and a cute nose and a tiny bit of bling just accents them. (Yes, I used "bling!) I keep the jewelry small and there are lots of times people don't realize that my nose was even pierced and are shocked that I had the first hole put in on my 18th birthday, some 16 years ago!!

I felt quite certain when I decided to take "Sun, Moon, and Scars" to body modification that suns and moons were going to appear higher on the tattoo popularity list. Apparently, suns aren't as popular as they used to be. I think they can be very pretty and I actually plan on getting one very soon! YAY! Though I like how the sun and moon are kissing, this isn't the tat I'm planning on getting, I just liked it as I was googling around. I have a hard time understanding why people get some of the designs that they get. I mean, I have a stupid monkey on my ankle because I was young, and dumb, and impatient, but some people spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars and hours and hours getting really bizarre, creepy, and ugly stuff put on them.
I don't get it. Maybe I'm getting old. Eeek!

I understand getting something you're really into. I learned from the monkey fiasco. I have made sure I've really thought about and loved everything I've gotten since then. I really like the detail in this fairies wings but her face is a tadbit sinister-looking and is a weird contrast. I like tats of Amy Brown fairies.

For a very brief period of time, I considered branding. As cool as some might look, I can't imagine how painful that must be. If I accidentally burn myself taking something out of the oven, that shit hurts for days!  No, branding isn't for me. Another mode of modification that is gaining popularity is scarification. Now this is some crazy-ass shit! They actually peel off pieces of your skin. Talk about OMFG pain!


Ok, I had to make that one really big so you could get a good look. I can't imagine sitting there while they do that. I wonder if they give you any kind of local anesthetic? Probably not, that's got to be like a declaration of manhood thing. No thanks, I'll stay a wussy girl, thank you!

If you, or someone you know, has one of those things that I said I don't really understand, I'd be thrilled to know about it. I'd love to get a personal example of why and how and OMG, what now?

2 comments:

Cele said...

Oh crap that hurts just looking at it. I am more open to some piercings than I use to be. Growning up and all that crap. But there are some that I still don't find appropriate. I can't imagine going to my investment manager who was wearing a nose dumbell (orwhat ever they are called.) And what about the people who get horn implants? I rank them up there with Heidi Montag's new breastestess...

If I were younger I would consider getting my nose done. Definately would do my belly button. Now I just imagine what they will say when I get to the nursing home.

Oh, maybe it would be good...

"Hey, we've got a normal one here, two tats and only eight holes in her ears."

Unknown said...

I have brandings, and they really dont hurt as much as you would think. It feels a bit like a sunburn afterwards, not at all like burning yourself on the stove or such.
This is because you burn your nerves right off, by the time you get your feeling back in the branding, it has already healed. But the heat radiation gets you a nice sunburn around it, so I wouldnt recommend doing it during the summer... Like I did.