Monday, April 5, 2010

Easter is Jesus.....

Or not. I hate those signs people put in their yard. Just drives me freakin' nuts.

I don't bemoan anyone their religious beliefs or practices, but I find it irritating when people blindly make ignorant comments like, "You're not even Christian, why do you celebrate Easter?" (or Christmas, for that matter.) Hmmmmm, really?

What do Easter bunnies and colored eggs have to do with the resurrection of Christ? Very little, if anything at all. Can we accept that it's common knowledge that in the days the Catholic church was conquering the world, they took pagan tradition and gods and practices and intertwined it with their faith to make it easier for the pagans to accept and therefore convert? This IS fairly common knowledge. Those who deny it are simply not accepting the facts.

The name of the holiday itself comes from the Anglo-Saxon goddess of spring "Eostre". The month attributed to her happens to coincide with the month we now call April and her annual festival was held on the vernal equinox. She is similar to the Germanic goddess Ôstarâ. And both are often credited for being virgin mothers of a special child fathered by a sky or sun god.

While eggs were a popular Easter treat because their consumption was traditionally forbidden during Lent- during that season they were hard boiled to prevent spoiling, then gifted to the children after the conclusion of Lent, but their involvement in spring festivals predates Christianity back to the Ancient Egyptians, Persians, Greek, and Roman cultures. Eggs have long been a symbol of new life and fertility. The ancient Romans believed all life came from an egg, while Christian tradition viewed the egg as the "seed of life". At the Passover Seder, a hard-boiled egg dipped in salt water symbolizes both new life and the Passover sacrifice offered at the Temple in Jerusalem.

The coloring of them seems to stem from a conglomeration of traditions- here, there, and everywhere. In ancient Egypt, Greece, Rome and Persia eggs were dyed for spring festivals. In medieval Europe, beautifully decorated eggs were given as gifts. The Orthodox tradition is to paint the eggs red as a symbol of the resurrection* while many pagan traditions painted them green to celebrate the onset of spring.

Hares and rabbits have been a symbol of fertility since the dawn of time. Hares and eggs are both attributed to Eostre and Ostara, and the Greek goddess Eos, a fertility goddess, but one or both appear to be sacred to many other deities throughout the world; Unut, Aphrodite, Holda, Freyja, Andraste, Cerridwen - not to mention several Asian and Middle Eastern goddesses.


I could get into resurrection myth and how Jesus wasn't the first to pull off that trick, but I'll save it for another day.

Please, don't get me wrong, I don't really have anything against any religion. I just get frustrated with people who are stubborn to the facts. I, personally, accept religions as different versions of the same thing, sharing soooooo many similar stories, to me that continuity is my "proof". It's okay to say that you don't quite believe this or that version, but you can't claim that any singular one is uniquely original in it's concept and tradition. That is part of the beauty of Easter. In little ways, it's part of everyone's history and heritage, Christian or not.

Happy Easter!

* I wanted to include this little tid-bit in reference to painting eggs red. The Orthodox Church has a tradition that evolved from two stories it has handed down over the last 1500 years. One is that after Christ was resurrected Mary Magdalene approached the Roman Emperor Tiberius Caesar, and told him "Christ is Risen." He pointed to an egg on his dinner table and said Christ is no more risen than that egg will turn red. At that point, the egg turned red. Another story I've come across is that after the Resurrection, Mary approached a group of women and handed out boiled eggs that said "Christ is Risen" and they turned red. I have found no scriptural support for these stories, if you do- please let me know! In most Orthodox artwork, she is depicted holding the red egg. Interesting!!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I was going to write a blog about resurrection myth, but I found an article written by ex-Franciscan monk turned atheist, Joseph McCabe. I think it is informative and very well researched.

www.2think.org/hundredsheep/bible/library/myth.shtml

I compared the wiki article about him to several others, and they all seem to agree on the specifics of his life and time spent as a monk and the some 250 books, artcles, and pamphlets he wrote after giving up the priesthood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_McCabe

Cele said...

I don't know about Joseph McCabe, but I appreciate the view point that all things meld together into one or borrow from another to end at similar conclusions. I have long held the belief that some people need rites to make them feel as though they properly worship. Some people refuse to follow a belief because there is no hard evidence. Others believe because it fills them. Some see the contradictions and reject all, while others ignor and accept all. And some just can't let others have their own opinions - believers and non-believers a like.

I've yet to figure out how Peeps come into the equation, but being "just born" there must be something there.

Unknown said...

Hmmmmm. "just born" might have significance, except you like them stale!!! Even "The Body of Christ" doesn't taste good stale..... Peeps are surely evil.

foundinidaho said...

I get impatient with agnostics or athiests that tell me my beliefs are wrong or crazy. I get impatient with "Christians" or those of other religions that say to those who are not like them (athiest, agnostic or other religion) that they will burn in hell because they don't believe the same way as (insert sect here).

I do believe in the resurrection. I am also very much okay with those that don't. Ya know, we're all going to find out what the truth is sooner or later, if you know what I mean. So while I openly invite (in a way) others to experience what I do, I certainly don't feel that I should insist upon it. And that's true of the other points of view as well.

foundinidaho said...

Oh, and I totally get why the church adopted to the Pagan calendar. However, I would point out that Jesus celebrated the Last Supper during Passover. I don't think the Jewish faith adapted that date from anything, and I can't see them moving it closer to Easter so they'd get fresh blood. They're stubborn about tradition like that I think. So maybe Easter (the date thereof at least) is a little closer to reality than Christmas is.

(By the way, I thought this was well written and made a lot of sense. I hope you don't think I'm slammin' on you in any way.)

Unknown said...

FII - Not at all. I do recognize that Passover was observed and probably not moved. According to wiki "Passover begins on the 15th day of the month of Nisan" and "Nissan is the first month of the ecclesiastical year and the seventh month (eighth, in leap year) of the civil year, on the Hebrew calendar. The name of the month is Babylonian; in the Torah it is called the month of the Aviv, referring to the month in which barley was ripe. It is a spring month of 30 days. Nisan usually falls in March–April on the Gregorian calendar. In the Book of Esther in the Tanakh it is referred to as Nisan."