Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Talk Thursday: Blogging

As you can tell, I've been trying desperately to catch up. I went about 3 months without internet, and OH MY GOD! it was painful. My friends think I'm a geek for being such a nut about blogging. At least I'm not a Facebook fanatic who has to log in every time I run down to the Piggly Wiggly or precious little Joey takes a crap.

Blogging is my therapy. Pre-advent of the blog, I would get riled up about some particular thing that set me off for the moment and I would pull out the encyclopedias and spend hours composing essay/letters to newspapers or congressman.... that of course I never sent off. But the act of writing cleared my head, got it off my chest, and made me feel better. Except when I'd look at the clock and calculate the hours upon hours I had just wasted on said project. Yay blogging!

Now I work it out, post it, get it off my chest- and if someone wants to read it great, if not ohhh, well. Often times, as I proof before post, I realize things about myself that I never quite noticed before. Sometimes I discover that those hidden truths are bigger than I would have ever thought but the putting of it into words seems to help somehow. Sometimes it's just the pride of a particularly well worded statement and a lot of times the frustration of having to find a different word because I can't begin to spell the one I want to use. My verbal vocabulary is much larger than my written vocabulary. Yay phonics.

The other interesting side of blogging is that I get to know a different side of my mom, not that she has necessarily kept any part of herself from me. I just get to know her better than I did before and I think that's a pretty cool thing. I'm sure to a certain extent she censors what she says knowing that I'll probably read it (I do) but I hope that she doesn't too much (Cuz I don't!). Sure there are a lot of times that I hesitate before I lay it out there, afraid that what I write will upset her, but often you have to plow through and not worry about it. In truth, you have to be a little selfish and say this is my therapy, not yours (but I love you!). There are times I've been tempted to put a "MOM: Read At Your Own Risk" disclaimer at the beginning of the blog, but then I'd have to start using a disclaimer any time I open my big, fat mouth. Life is too short for disclaimers.
Besides, there's very little my mom doesn't know about me.

Anyway, the bottom line is - I love blogging and I'm so glad to be back in it.

2 comments:

Cele said...

I like that you're back on the net, and blogging. I miss it. And reading your post let me know how I am going to deal with the topic. I know, I know it was my topic.

One thing nice about reading your blogs and being my age. I've learned to read, mull over, and absorb what I need, and let go of what I don't.

This is a great dictionary.

http://wordweb.info/free/

foundinidaho said...

I am glad you're back too! And, as you know, you have the coolest Mom. Mine's not bad - but given our overt political differences among other things I can't be always as "myself" as I'd like to be on my blog. Well, it's not just her, a lot of my family doesn't know about a lot of my past (not that it's horrible, but they would be horrified) so I have to skip things. I hate that. I need to create a new nom de plume so I can really get with Talk Thursday and share only with you all.