Sunday, July 25, 2010

Help Make a Difference...

When we were going through the hassle of getting Burp's analysis for Autism Spectrum Disorder, I learned of a local non-profit organization called Direction Service. Their mission statement is "Helping People with Special Needs Live the Fullest Lives Possible."

What they did for me was give my son his own advocate. She essentially works for him, to make sure that he gets what he needs. She was able to tell me what to expect during each step of the evaluation process, and is now part of my son's IEP team. She knows what questions I need to ask, and she will demand that I get the answers I need. She will arrange to go to any meetings I might need her to go to, just so we have someone "on our side" who understands the language and processes. Her primary job for us is to help make sure that the school does what it needs to in order for him to get the most he can out of his education. They even called at the beginning of the summer to offer a scholarship for Burp if there were any summer activities he was interested in that I couldn't afford. Everything they offer to us is absolutely free. Most of their funding comes from the United Way.

I received a call the other day asking for assistance with a grant contest they are participating in for the month of August. This is The Progressive Slate contest in which 10 organizations are competing for 11 grants that could total up to $500,000 through the  Pepsi Refresh Everything contest. The way the winners are selected is simply through votes.
You sign up. In the "Who told you about it" box, put DS. They will send you an email once a day from Aug 1st to the 31st reminding you to vote. You can vote once a day. The form promises that your email won't be used for anything but this grant contest in August.
Please sign up! This organization has done so much to help me and other families like mine. I went through 3 years of hell before I found them and there would be no way I could afford the services they offer if they weren't non-profit. My first call to them, I just started bawling with relief and they told me I wasn't alone anymore... and it's so true!

Help us out. Sign up, encourage others to sign up. Vote once a day. Really, really... you're helping to change someone's life.....

Pass it on, PLEASE!