Wednesday, December 16, 2009

11 Pipers Piping

Last night Burp and I spent the evening some very good friends of ours in the car, sipping cocoa (or mocha), eating cookies and driving around looking at Christmas lights. Usually I burn us a cd of Christmas songs, but this year I just didn't get that far. Not long into the fun, I was quite excited because the station we were listening to played my fav. bands back to back- Weezer and Green Day, Burp however didn't feel this was Christmasy enough. He demanded we sing Christmas carols.......

Apparently, it has been many years since I sang carols.

He doesn't pick an easy song like Rudolph, or Frosty, or even Santa Claus is Coming to Town...... No, he picks the 12 Days of Christmas. We made it through the bird section just fine, 5 GOLDEN RINGS!
Beyong that, we were screwed.

Ty: I think it's 6 Swans a laying
Me:  Hell, I thought it was swimming.
Ty: That's it.... 6 Swans a swimming!
Me: Ok, What's 7?
Ty: Uhhhhhhh
Me: Where are the Milking Maids?
Ty: Is it 7 Lords Leaping?
Me: 8 Maids a Milking, 7 Swans a Swimming, 6 Geese a Laying...
Burp: 9 Ladies Dancing!
Me: You're just being silly now.
Burp: No the Ladies are next.
Ty: It could be...
Me: Do you know 12??? We should start backwards.
Ty: I have no idea what twelve is.

(There is much laughing and bad singing involved in this debate)
Me: ok, I know... (At this point, I grab my phone and start dialing)

ring....... ring.......... HELLO?

Me: MOM!!!! Quick.... what are the gifts of  the 12 days of Christmas?
 .............silence............
Mom: Ohhhh geez Psam.... I don't know....Where are you stuck?
Me: 8-9-10-11-12
Mom: Uhhhhhh ....
Ducky in the background...: 10 cows a humping

 Thank you Ducky!
***
Some people look at me weird when I try to explain how close my mom and I are, even though I commonly might go 3 weeks without talking to her. It's this kind of stuff. (except I usually get an answer) My mom is not thrown off, dismayed, disturbed, or confused by my random anytime of day or night calls.
Me: Mom.... quick, go outside. Look up. Turn west. What's that really bright star kind of to the south, low?
Mom: Psam...... that's not a star... that's...blah blah blah... (see I will obviously make this call again.)
Me: Mom, what was that movie where.......?
Me: Mom, I'm making..... what temperature? How long?
Me: Mom, where do I find that verse where God tells ....?
Me: Mom, Anne Boleyn had six fingers, right?

Thank you for being a cool mom!

For thos of you about to google, or call your own moms....
On the twelfth day of Christmas,
my true love sent to me
Twelve drummers drumming,
Eleven pipers piping,
Ten lords a-leaping,
Nine ladies dancing,
Eight maids a-milking,
Seven swans a-swimming,
Six geese a-laying,
Five golden rings,
Four calling birds,
Three French hens,
Two turtle doves,
And a partridge in a pear tree!

Burp was totally right, and we (in very wrong, random order) got all of the gifts except 11 pipers piping.... we never even came close.

3 comments:

Cele said...

Well Crap! 10 cows a humping was so musical sounding.

Anonymous said...

Psam - continue to love and care about your mom like today is the last day you will see her - because you don't know when that will be. Don't make any presumptions, nor neglect anything. . .

Both of my parents are gone, and I miss them every day. I envy what you have.

Unknown said...

I am so sorry you've lost your parents. I can't imagine anything worse, except losing my child. My mom always calls me fearless, but that's the one really true fear I have because that's the one thing I can't imagine being able to over come. If I lost either of them, I don't see myself ever being able to pick myself up off the floor. There is nothing beyond that.