Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Talk Thursday: And Little Did I Know

So, we had our IEP meeting, a little early because I was concerned about how  Burp was doing in Math.

Last year, I was told he didn't qualify for intervention because he was at around the 20th percentile, and they don't do intervention until the 10th or lower. Good thing I called for the IEP, because little did I know... Burp is now at the 4th percentile in Math.

Two things were put on the board. One, testing for learning disabilities. Stupid me, I'd figured that had probably been included somewhere in all the previous testing... Duh.. Little did I know... And (two) Special Ed math. I quickly accepted Special Ed math, he needs help desperately... So because we were going to try Special Ed math, did I want to wait until next year for testing for Learning Disabilities? I was fairly LIVID.
I sputtered, "OK, Last year I wanted math intervention, and was told he didn't qualify.... This year his math skills are abysmally poor and he more than qualifies. I feel like we've wasted a year getting a handle on this.. NOW you want to wait a year for testing? Why? So he can get THAT diagnosis just before handing him off to Middle School?"
At this point, Burp's counselor leaned forward and looked at me, "Psam. Just. Say. Yes." Little did I know, the school has stupid rules about how shit is worded. I think they try to scare you off with a question, when all you have to do is say YES, and they have to do it. I answered, "YES" and they smiled and handed me a form.

I'M SORRY. To me, asking if I want to do it now (when we're talking about the possibility of learning disabilities NOW) or wait to see how this tactic works, gives the non-verbal implication that the asker thinks we should wait..... Hmmmmmmm. Some day I will learn their dialect.

So Burp will be tested for learning disabilities. How this filters out real deficits compared to Aspie learning differences, I don't know... That's a question for his counselor to explain to me. To be honest, I don't think he has learning disabilities.... I just think he hasn't been taught in a way that makes sense to him. I've proven that in spelling, that with constant repetition he can memorize words. I just had to increase his spelling homework on this end to meet his needs.

Next on the table was Special Ed Math... Which everyone agreed Burp needs, but.... little did I know,  "special ed" math is not intended to be a core math class. Only to support a core math class. BUT.. his teacher and I felt that mainstream math is NOT the place for Burp. He needs streamlined materials laid out in a logical progression from system to system with little to no strategies taught with it. Just bare bones, "This is how it's done".. He can't handle having a plethora of tricks and strategies to work from. He gets them all confused and it takes him longer to work that out then actually doing the problem.. SO any way.. They were trying to figure out how to manage this.. Burp should not be in mainstream math any longer, AND the special ed math is working on simple addition... like 3 + 8 =..... which Burp is definitely beyond. There would be absolutely no benefit of putting him in special ed math  and keeping him in mainstream if the "support class" isn't going to address the materials of the core class. LITTLE DID I KNOW HOW FUCKING STUPID EDUCATIONAL HOOPS AND RED TAPE ARE!!!

The bottom line is that mainstream math is only keeping Burp back... so, I did the only thing I could. I asked them to not give Burp a core math class. Take him out of mainstream math. Put him in the special ed math... though I'll see how I feel about that... and LET ME HOME SCHOOL MATH. I told them I would work on the skills he should have already mastered, and hasn't by, focusing on daily comprehensive activities and only adding new procedures when he's gotten a firm grasp on the previous material. I told them I would do daily homework in math and send it to school so that they can be aware of what we are doing. I strongly feel that Burp can benefit from one on one instruction that focuses on repetition and constant comprehensive work to keep him from losing skills he has obtained. I try to do this anyway and often feel like I am fighting against classroom instruction that Burp has improperly learned.

So, for the time being... I am my son's primary math teacher. YAY??? I don't know if that should be a yay.. but I'm hopeful this will help. The goal is to get him caught up and them hopefully next year he can join mainstream math again.. 5th grade does it slightly differently, in that they break up into groups based on skill level.. SO Burp might be able to integrate that way. *fingers crossed*

Previous to the IEP meeting, I had been asking on WP what I might expect them to offer Burp and what was reasonable to ask for... and in truth, I was already considering the prospect of home schooling math.. and someone was talking about getting him an Aspie tutor in math (which I can't afford) and telling me that there are such things as charter schools for ASD kids. Two hours later, we were in the counselor's office and he told me that HE is trying to start a charter school for ASD and learning disabilities, and is just waiting for the school boards to approve his proposal. He'll know by the end of the summer if they will, and if so.. he's hoping to open doors to the school in January!
The way he explained the curriculum is:
1) an approx. 8-1 student/teacher ratio.
2) integrated classrooms based more on skill level than age..
3) logic and reason based subject matter and teaching strategies (no more multiple strategies.. no more "be creative" for kids who can't be creative)

The school would be 1st through 8th grade, with progression to 9th grade based on skill, not age. And, the only reason he's only planning to go through 8th grade is because the high schools here already have a really great autism program. He talked about sensory and de-sensory rooms... It seemed like Aspie/Autie heaven!

It's so weird to have absolutely no clue where all of this will lead us. I mean, you never know what the future may hold, but you usually have a generalize idea... I'm clueless... But, I think we've found a good starting point. I am still mildly frustrated that it took us a year to get here. I feel like no one ever admits there's a problem until I say, "HEY! WTF IS GOING ON??"

1 comment:

Cele said...

I think you will excell and Burp will benefit the most.