Monday, January 18, 2010

Talk Thursday: Favorite Proverbs

I grew up in a house that abounded with proverbs, wise sayings, and bizarre but intellectual quips, whether legit or made up by my brilliant and insightful mother.

It has been thrown around that my mom has some OCD tendencies. This is no laughing matter. "A place for everything and everything in it's place" was no joke in our house. I'll never forget the time I was sitting on the sofa reading and mom asked me to take out the garbage. I put down my book, took out the trash, and came back to the sofa. My book was gone. I found it on top of my dresser. I could say that I was a slob out of rebellion, but honestly, I'm just a lazy procrastinator who easily gets lost in one thing after another. Certain aspects of the OCD are contagious though. I, more than once, frustrated and sometimes infuriated my very NON-OCD step-mother. One of the first things I always saw to upon going to their house was the organization of their pantry. Cans of peas and peaches don't go together and you can't have the soups with the tomato products. I just can't stand it. AND, I don't care if you only have one can of creamed corn you can't stack it on the green beans. Boxed goods must go on a separate shelf, however you MAY put the unopened peanut butter next to the Bisquick. Don't ask me why, that's just the way it is. I did however go too far when I reorganized her kitchen one day while she was in town. They had a huge kitchen with more storage than anyone really has a right to have, but there was no rhyme or reason to where things were or what was stored with what. They liked it when I cooked but I couldn't cook in those conditions. So I moved the glasses from next to the stove and put them in the cupboard between the fridge and the sink.... that is obviously where they belong. DUH! I took the spices that had been in that cupboard and put them in the now empty one by the stove. I separated everyday  pots and pans from the seldom used baking pans and placed them in appropriate places. I put storage containers in a handy location next to the drawer that stored the foils, wraps, and baggies. LOGIC! HELLO! When she got home, she was so pissed. I think it was several weeks before I was allowed back in the kitchen. I still say I did her a favor. People pay good money to have professional organizers come in and do that shit.


"Any job worth doing is worth doing right" or some crap like that. This is where my procrastination hits a snag. See, when I clean- OMG, I get in there and go to town like a mad man. I don't own a mop. I do it by hand because that's the only way to really get it cleaned right. Even as a kid, when I'd break down and FINALLY clean my room, I didn't just clean it.... I'd get so deep into it that I inevitably ended up totally gutting and rearranging the whole damn thing. I think this is why when things get a little out of hand, I procrastinate until it's WAY out of hand... because I know that if I get in there to clean it up, it's going to be an all day project anyway... I can't JUST clean the kitchen floor... because I'll end up wiping down the baseboards,.... which leads to the walls... which leads to the cupboards... makes no sense to have clean cupboard doors if the inside isn't clean too.... the fridge needs wiped.... uggg the inside needs cleaned.... and on and on and on. I think maybe I have a little ADD too, cuz I might not always get one completely done before something else gets my attention and Ohhhhh if I have to go to the bathroom before I'm done cleaning the kitchen, I might just have to stay and clean that first.... then where did I put that spray bottle.....

That said.... I need to quit procrastinating and go clean my kitchen floor...... I could go on..... mom had lots of bits of wisdom to share.... but the floor, and baseboards, and walls, and cupboards, and fridge and bathroom are calling........ *sigh*

5 comments:

Cele said...

"I'm just a lazy procrastinator who easily gets lost in one thing after another. "

You just remember it as being minutes... it was much, much longer.

Love,
Mom (PS I love you just the way you are.)

Unknown said...

You say this because it is probably some 20 years later... how can you really know? You're just betting that time and my poor memory will keep me from arguing the point.... Ummmmmmmm yeah, whatever, I remember it the way I remember it.

and I love you too!

Unknown said...

Psam, I'm going to take photos of my pantry cabinet that will make your head EXPLODE. Canned soup sitting on sideways turned boxes of cake mix. Canned fruit snuggled right up next to jars of curry paste. OPEN BAGS OF SUGAR THAT AREN'T CLOSED OR IN JARS.

You do clean like a madman. You clean like a madman so much that I felt like an asshole whenever you cleaned because I couldn't get as into it as you were or I just wasn't in a mood to clean at that very moment but because you were cleaning, I felt like it was my duty. Whenever you cleaned, my stress levels would go through the roof for some reason. It's like some kind of furious obsession. In fact, you get so into cleaning and you're so focused that when you're cleaning, it's hard to tell if you're focused or really pissed off and wanting to kill someone.

My house is disgusting and filthy. I keep trying to get up and clean, I really do, but every time I stand up I feel like the room is all spinny and I might throw up everywhere, so I'm carefully lying on the couch in nauseous ignorance lately.

Unknown said...

Thank you. I'm sorry I stressed you out. And sometimes, I'm sorry, sometimes I was angry... but it was because of that "why do it if you aren't going to do it right" mentality. That obsession that came back to kick me in the ass with many roommates who eventually were like, "why should I do it if you're just going to go behind me and "fix" it?." And I do fully understand what frustration you must have felt on your end. Again, I'm sorry... but I'm glad that you have said what you've said... I always worry that my mom still thinks of me as that lazy teen who has absolutely no interest in cleaning, ever..... I just procrastinate... But look out when I'm in the zone baby....

If I ever get to come visit.... I'll organize your pantry!

Unknown said...

How can you leave the sugar open?... you know that just makes it clump up and go bad!