Monday, April 4, 2011

Opinions Wanted

I know this isn't a forum.. but I'd like to hear opinions and reasonings...

Do you feel that insurance (especially government sponsored) should quit covering lung cancer treatment *for smokers*? or COPD treatments?

I do have to state that I am a smoker, so my thoughts might be tainted.

But..
1) I pay taxes, plus cigarette tax.

2) I think that if you exclude smokers from covering related treatment... You also need to exclude..

-Gastric by-pass and the like..
-Treatment for other addiction related illness.. alcoholic hepatitis, pancreatitis, kidney failure..etc...
-Diabetic care for those who don't take care of themselves

And if you want to get really crazy and ridiculous, STD treatment unless you were raped.

I don't really believe in any of these.. I'm just making a statement. Healthcare is healthcare... Smokers aren't the only people who cause their own illness and whose treatment is expensive.

What are your thoughts?

*added specification.. guess I missed it in the original proof read... sorry*

2 comments:

Cele said...

Yes. Lung cancer, emphyzema, and COPD should be cover - despite it being unhealthy (and just like drinking alcohol) smoking and chewing tobacco are legal. Secondly, as you noted taxes are paid, taxes by the way that have been raised numerous time for reasons that include increase pressure placed on health care by cigarettes.

Unknown said...

How about we start taxing candy bars, soda, and Twinkies...?